Good Afternoon!
I have been watching Brandon's performance in class rather closely lately, and at times have to look even closer to make sure it is the same kid I taught last year. He seems to have a much keener understanding of the material this year; even though it is a much harder course. Today, we practiced writing thesis statements for essays, and I called on Brandon to share his with the class. When he was through, everyone's jaw hit the floor, including mine. He had an amazing grasp of the topic that none of the other kids could even approach.
I asked him after class who he was and what he had done with Brandon. He told me that he had been "challenged" by his Aunt to make a "5" on the APUSH exam. He is certainly doing everything he can to get there; and I am very pleased with his effort thus far. Although one is tempted to say "why this year and not last," we have to accept the fact that these kids do eventually grow up, but on their own schedule. He seems to be well on his way.
Brandon got a good scare last year when he thought he wasn't moving up to APUSH. He is performing amazingly well this year; and I certainly hope he continues.
We so often contact parents with bad news, I didn't want to miss the opportunity to share some good news.
Best wishes,
Larry Gates
Wednesday, September 10, 2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)



2 comments:
Brandon is such a great kid. He better relish in the moment because Savannah is gonna blow him out the water when she hits high school.
I feel like I'm related to these kids! I couldn't be more proud of Brandon! That letter from your teacher was AWESOME! That is the real deal and is a wonderful reward for hard work.
Mama Peri
Post a Comment